Saturday, October 30, 2010

You just gotta laugh

Lately it seems life is just too serious, too hard and the news lists many horror stories. It's just depressing and I would like a little good news. I don't think that's too much to ask. Recently, I saw a book that just looking at the cover made me laugh. I picked it up, glanced at a few pages and laughed some more.  Then of course I wanted to check it out, but...no someone else was taking it home (sigh). Guess she wanted to laugh, too.   I decided then and there the world must laugh.

In my effort to make the world a brighter place, I  put together a list of humorous books (at least I think they are humorous). Just so you know, the first book on my list is the one I saw today. It's titled Cake Wrecks : When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong. This book is everything the front cover led me to believe it would be. I picked it up glanced at a few pages and laughed uproariously. When I got it home of course there were errands to run so I left it on the table.  I returned home and the book was opened.  I figured it was my children, but I knew that wasn't the case when my husband said, "Nappy, blob, blob". I, being the resourceful person that I am, realized the page he left the book open to was a birthday cake mishap that was captioned, "Nappy BLOB BLOB TO YOU". Needless to say we cracked up all over again. My whole family loved this book. It's funny, witty and at times a little gross, but we laughed together, we laughed apart and we just plain laughed. This book definitley made my top list of funny books.  Here are a few others including some that won the Thurber award:

Letters from a Nut by Ted Nancy
With a forward by Jerry Seinfeld how could this book go wrong?  This is a collection of ridiculous prank letters sent to companies and includes their responses. A perfect table top book. 

I Love You Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle (2008 Thurber Award Winner)
This book is about a nerdy guy who falls for the head High School cheerleader. Through the use of comics and cleverly written script it is a story that will bring you to tears. 

Ant Farm by Simon Rich (2008 Thurber Award Finalist)
This is a hilarious collection of short stories. Ever wonder what it's like when a child realizes their teacher tricked them with the quiet game?...well Simon gives us insight into ordinary situations from a child, teen and crazy adult point of view. It's definitely a must have!

The Other Shulman by Alan Zweibel (2006 Thurber Award Winner)
A terrific feel good novel that will make you laugh and give you insight into human nature! It's a win-win!

Lamentations of the Father by Ian Frazier (2009 Thurber Award Winner)\
Ian Frazier takes ordinary everyday occurrences and turns them into comedic prose that leaves the best comedy headliners wishing they were as witty!

How I became a Famous Novelist by Steve Hely (2010 Thurber Award Winner)
Steve Hely in his first novel writes a comedic parody of the top fiction novels of our time. If you find yourself often at the bookstore looking at the new arrivals or anxiously awaiting the NY Times Book Review this book is destined to be in your collection.  It is wonderfully funny and will make you think twice about the books you love and why.

The final book on my list is more of a pictorial homage to cats and laughter. Bad Cat is a collection of cat pictures with funny captions. If you love or hate cats this book is for you. 

No comments: