Saturday, April 30, 2011

Who knew?



Have you ever had a Eureka moment? This is the moment when all of a sudden you have insight into yourself. Well, I had a startling Eureka moment yesterday. I was helping a patron at the library find some stories to read.  She hadn't been to the library in years and wanted some new titles. She wasn't sure what she liked, but did say she enjoyed fantasy stories.  I selected a few titles that I thought may  interest her: Hunger Games, Graceling, Shifter, and Ill Wind.  All are wonderful fantasy stories, the one characteristic I did not realize they all had in common (until I looked at them altogether in her arms) was a strong female protagonist. Yes, while I read them I realized it (how could I miss it?).  However I never actually thought about the preponderance of stories I read that contain a strong female lead.  These stories would include JD Robb's in Death series,  James Patterson's Women's Murder Club ,  Tamora Pierce's YA series and Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta series , and last, but in no way least, Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy (aka Girl with the Dragon Tattoo).

Do not get me wrong, I have many other literary interests and read many novels with male protagonists, animal heroes, and even hapless heroes/heroines. I just never realized that a majority of the stories I enjoy have strong female leads. These are women who (pardon the expression) kick butt, get the job done and at times become reluctant heroes. They do what needs done to survive or to deliver justice.  I doubt that if these women were men that I would like the stories less, but... I'm not sure now.  Who knew that I enjoyed strong female leads as much as I do. I hope you'll take time to try one or two to see if you like them. These stories are action packed, fantasy adventure stories.  Although they all have strong females there are also strong males in each novel. Most of these stories just happen to be written from a woman's point of view.

No comments: