Saturday, May 26, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey

Alright, I admit it. I was intrigued when I heard all they hype about E.L. James' Fifty Shades of Grey. I was one of the few who had not heard anything about this book, until it's recent release.  Amazing I know, but...it is the truth. Surprisingly enough it was not until several of our patrons quietly requested this book that I heard the buzz.  This book is attracting women and men. However the primary pull seems to be women over the age of 21 (thank goodness) this book is steamy and there ought to be a warning label on it. 

Fifty Shades allegedly began as a take-off from the Twilight series on fanfiction. It was touted as a sexy, racy (BDSM) romance.  Well, what I read had a glimmer of romance and plenty of hot racy steamy,  cover your eyes sex. Both Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey have a male and female protagonist, but there is where the similarities (for me) end. Where Twilight is a novel my daughter read, Fifty Shades of Grey is not a title I want my daughter anywhere near. Women everywhere may be cheering in praise of this young woman, Anastasia embracing her sexuality, but come on people this novel is not a literary masterpiece and was not intended as one.

Anastasia Steele is an innocent 21 year old girl, who I wish had more spine and a stronger sense of self. Christian is a 27 year old multi-millionaire who is a powerful business man and a dominant in the bedroom. Anastasia is a typical kid and has no idea what she is getting into, when she becomes involved with the exceedingly handsome Christian. I think Christian truly cares for Anastasia, but he is still recovering from his traumatic childhood and is extremely possessive/obsessive. Will he change to be what Anastasia needs him to become? Can Anastasia accept the role he wants her to play or is he asking far too much?

 I have a few wishes and perhaps by the third book my wishes will be granted. I wish Anastasia had more backbone, stood up for herself and said, "Stop, I don't want you to do that."   I wish Christian would just be human, get help and get over his childhood trauma. (It's a fictional story, it could happen.)   A little less repetition would be nice too, but overall the story is good.  If you are looking for a story where the hero adores the heroine this may be it. Christian does adore Anastasia he just has a funny way of showing it sometimes.   

Most of the reviewers of this book have very strong opinions about it. Either they love it or they hate it. I neither love nor hate this novel. Do I like it enough to read the next two books? Yes, I want to know what happens next in the story. So I will be reading Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed and I am sure I will not be alone. Fifty Shades of Grey has gone viral and created quite a sensation. It is currently number one on the NY Times Combined Print and E-book Fiction Best Seller list and has been on the list for the past 11 weeks.  I am not sure if the book is so popular because of the BDSM, the glimmer of romance or if it is just curiosity that is drawing people in.  Read it and judge for yourself.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel it is like Twilight in so many more ways than a male and female protagonist. It's the weakness of Anastasia that mirrors the weakness of Bella. Ana refers to Christian as a stalker and that's what Edward was. The curiosity drew me in and really I don't feel it's a good book. It is not well written and the author needs to purchase a thesaurus.

Anonymous said...

For real erotic literature read Anais Nin. Also recommend the film, 'The Secretary'.