Monday, July 16, 2012

When We Lose a Pet--We Lose a Family Member

This is probably one of the hardest blogs I've ever written.  My sweet, beautiful puppy Allie passed away on July 5th, and it has been a very difficult week.  It's amazing how much pets bring to our lives--and it's cruelly noticeable when they are no longer here.  The lingering quiet that replaces the clickety-clack of claws on wood floors and the whines of welcome home is sorely missed.  But the thing I miss most is the companionship.  The playful affection.  The no-strings-attached, never-ending love.  I miss it every day.
Despite the sadness now, I would not have traded one minute that I spent with her--whether on doggy-doo duty or the cold walks in freezing weather.  Because they were all worth it!
So, sometime in the future, I know I will get another puppy or kitty or both.  Just not today.

There are some good books on coping with the loss of a pet and even more books about cats, dogs, and other critters.  Here are a few:

Saying Good-bye to the Pet you Love by Lorri A. Greene
Going Home: Finding Peace When Pets Die by Jon Katz
The Loss of a Pet by Wallace Sife

In a Dog's Heart by Jennifer Arnold
Marley and Me by John Grogan
The Dog's of Bedlam Farm by Jon Katz

Cats Pajamas: 101 of the World's Cutest Cats by Rachael Hale
Cat Stories by James Herriott
Kitty Cornered by Bob Tarte

Horses Never Lie About Love by Jana Harris
What the Animals Taught Me by Stephanie Marohn
Oink: My Life with Mini Pigs by Matt Whyman
The Bluebird Effect: Uncommon Bonds with Common Birds by Julie Zickefoose

No comments: