Saturday, June 8, 2013

Wanted Great Narrators!

Listening to audio books is new to me and I still (probably) prefer reading a book, but listening while I work, drive, clean and bake is a definite plus for me. One of our library patron's strongly encouraged me to listen to an audio book that Lorelei King narrated. I listened to her read Notorious Nineteen and I was hooked. I have found other books narrated by King and enjoyed them as well. Then being quite bold and daring, I listened to Maze Runner written by James Dashner. It is narrated by Mark Deakins. Deakins does marvelous voice characterizations, too. Consequently I am now looking for more great narrators!

Naturally the story has to be good, but... the narrator can make or break a good audio book. In my quest for great narrators and audio books I learned the Audie Award winners were announced on May 30th, and discovered neither of the narrators I enjoyed, were on the list of winners. I cannot imagine how they could miss, but now I am determined to listen to more great books and find more great narrators! The narrator brings the story to life and keeps you on the edge of your seat. If you enjoy audio books and have a favorite narrator please let me know, who it is. If you recall a book they read that was good, please tell me the title. I will listen! Really, I will.

I will be writing a series of blogs on the best audio books. This series  includes the 2013 Audie Award winners, Earphones Award winners and Golden Voice Award winners.  Here are a few listings of books read by previous Golden Voice Award winners in case you are also waiting for a good book to listen too.

61 Hours by Lee Child
Read by Dick Hill

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Mar
Read by Alyssa Bresnahan

Brother I'm Dying by Edwidge Danticat
Read by Robin Miles

Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
Read by Jim Dale

The Coral Thief by Rebecca Stott
Read by Simon Prebble
 

No comments: