Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Cuckoo's Calling


I loved the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, but was disappointed with her first 'adult novel' Casual Vacancy. I suppose I wanted a more pleasant story line and a definitive hero who saved the day for everyone.  I was ill prepared for Rowling's verge into the child unfriendly land of Pagford, where heroin addiction, suicide, violence, rape and snobbery ran rampant throughout the town.  I was sure that my beloved author was unable to successfully transition to adult literature.  I am thrilled to be mistaken.  

The Cuckoo's Calling was written by Robert Galbraith, which is now known as a pseudonym for JK Rowling. I am actually happy she did this; since I was less than enthused with Casual Vacancy, I may not have picked this novel up and that would have been a grave mistake! 

I thoroughly enjoyed the strong characters she created and the well written story.   If you enjoy crime fiction novels, give this one a try, not because it is written by J K Rowling, but because it is a wonderful new addition to the detective crime investigation genre.  It is a mystery whose characters will lure you in and make you want their lives to be a bit better, especially the main character Cormoran Strike.  If you tried Casual Vacancy and did not like it,...do not let that keep you from trying this novel.  It truly was a wonderful read and I imagine if there is a sequel it will only get better.    

No comments: