Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Be Adventurous! Read a Children's Book!

October is Children's Literature month at the library so we are sharing our favorite books. 

For as long as I can remember, I have been an avid reader and frequent visitor to the library.  My mom would take us every week or two to check out books.  I even remember once, after the Blizzard of '78, walking in the street past the snow piles towering above our heads to get to the library on Salem Avenue.  


I loved solving mysteries with Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys and traveling the South Seas with Pippi Longstocking.
I remember devouring books by Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume, and S. E. Hinton and reading classics such as White Fang by Jack London and Just-So-Stories by Rudyard Kipling. These library books opened so many new worlds for me and my siblings and had a huge impact on my life (I am now a librarian).

  
The following are some of my absolute favorites:


The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Little House in the Big Woods
Farmer Boy
Little House on the Prairie
On the Banks of Plum Creek
By the Shores of Silver Lake
The Long Winter
Little Town on the Prairie
These Happy Golden Years
The First Four Years



Stormy, Misty's Foal and Mustang, Wild Spirit of the West 
by Marguerite Henry








The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis
  The Magician's Nephew
  The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe
  The Horse and His Boy
  Prince Caspian
  Voyage of the Dawn Treader
  The Silver Chair
  The Last Battle


Never underestimate the power of children's literature, and please remember how vital books and libraries are for a child's growth, enrichment, and down right fun.




No comments: