Thursday, January 29, 2009

And The Winner Is....

Just a quick note to let all of you know that one of my favorite authors, Neil Gaiman, has won the 2009 Newbery Medal for his most excellent novel, The Graveyard Book. I love Gaiman's reaction to the news when the chair of the ALA Newbery committee called him at his hotel to make the announcement: "You are on a speakerphone with at least 14 teachers and librarians and suchlike great, wise and good people, I thought. Do not start swearing like you did when you got the Hugo. This was a wise thing to think because otherwise huge, mighty and fourletter swears were gathering. I mean, that's what they're for." Agreed, but luckily no naughty words were uttered--not within earshot, at least! Anyway, The Graveyard Book is certainly worth an award or two. "A delicious mix of murder, fantasy, humor and human longing, the tale of Nobody Owens is told in magical, haunting prose. A child marked for death by an ancient league of assassins escapes into an abandoned graveyard, where he is reared and protected by its spirit denizens." Deliciously good stuff for readers of all ages. This book will not frighten you, but it will touch you. I bought it, devoured it, then bought a copy for my niece, who absolutely loved Gaiman's Coraline.
So do I really need to keep repeating myself? Gaiman's got the goods, and if you still haven't read him yet, seriously, get with it.

No comments: