Saturday, March 28, 2009

Confessions of a Romance Reader

I’m sending happy birthday wishes today to Jennifer Weiner and Jayne Ann Krentz (aka Amanda Quick). My gift to them is an admission I have always been reluctant to voice: I like romance novels. I tend toward contemporary romance (aka “chick lit”) when I need a little break from something that’s causing me stress, or when I’ve read too much literary fiction in a short time and need a break, or when I just want to relax and be entertained.

As it turns out, I’m a pretty typical romance reader. We like books where there is a strong female character who has to tackle a number of obstacles in her path, and for whom things end happily ever after. The other thing that makes me a typical romance reader is my slight sense of embarrassment about reading romances. In fact, until recently, I would claim that I never read romance. I read chick lit, or historical fiction, or sometimes fantasy. They just happen to have a romance in them. But, the guilt is gone from my guilty pleasure. There’s a wide variety of books that are considered romance.

Try one of these and see if you might just be a romance reader, too:

Jennifer Weiner – In Her Shoes or Little Earthquakes
Diana Gabaldon – The Outlander
Amanda Quick – Second Sight
Nora Roberts – Born in Fire
J.D. Robb – Glory in Death
Lauren Baratz-Logsted – This is Chick Lit

No comments: