Friday, April 24, 2009

In defense of re-reads

Is it possible to read too much? This is not a problem I usually face. As a voracious reader with two young kids at home, I often sneak reading time in where I can -- while loading or unloading the dishwasher, while folding laundry, occasionally while drying my hair (although since a particularly engrossing scene led to a run-in with a round brush a few months ago, this has curtailed a bit).

But, this is a problem I had to confront this week. As a clutz lacking natural grace and balance, I often injure myself. After an unfortunate incident with an exercise DVD and a quick jaunt to the ER, I was recently told that I had to spend 2 days on bed rest and was not to move except in the most dire circumstances. I'm pretty sure when the doctor said, "bed rest" what he meant was, "uninterrupted reading."

I read chick lit, I read techno thrillers, I read post-modern, I even threw in a bit of non-fiction. It was great to have uninterrupted reading time, but I'll be honest: I had a bit of a dud batch. One in particular felt a bit too impressed with its own cleverness and left me uninspired to pick up another book. With almost a day left of bed-rest, I knew I couldn't give up altogether and decided to turn to a book I'd already read: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It was a nice reminder that sometimes a re-read is more satisfying than wading into something new. I knew exactly what I was going to get, and that was simultaneously comforting and refreshing. I finished that book ready to dive back into the library basket and start again. I might get a dud occasionally, but a re-read is a nice reminder that there are always good things to read.

3 comments:

Dave Birch said...

I find myself not wanting to reread books unless they are some type of training book and I need a refresher.

cbs said...

No, it is not possible to read too much. :)
CBS

Anonymous said...

I am not an avid reader but the Harry Potter series has been recomended to me .I am going to give it a try.