Tuesday, May 26, 2009

For the Birds

I recently took a few days off to go up to Magee Marsh near Lake Erie to go birding. In the spring the warblers are passing through and you can get a closeup look at these small, colorful birds. It is an amazing experience and I would recommend it to anyone who likes nature and/or birds. So, since I had such a wonderful time, I thought I look for some books to "extend my vacation".

Try one of the following:

Life List: A Woman's Quest for the World's Most Amazing Birds
Olivia Gentile

The Armchair Birder: Discovering the Secret Lives of Familiar Birds
John Yow

3 comments:

Bill M. said...

I'd also recommend The Race to Save the Lord God Bird by Phillip Hoose, about the Ivory-billed Woodpecker. Kirkus Reviews called the book "exemplary nonfiction...outstanding in every way."

Irene G. said...

A fascinating, coffee table book along these lines is "Extreme Birds: the World's Most Extraordinary and Bizarre Birds" by Dominic Couzens. Published by Firefly Books in 2008, we have one copy at the Centerville location. Its call number is
598/Couz.

Kay G. said...

Another good resouce is the magazine Birds and Blooms. It's got beautiful pictures of a variety of birds, as well as informative articles about the type of foliage that attracts them.