Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Lizzie The Zombie Slayer

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Folks, I’m kicking myself. Seriously, I wish I’d thought of this one myself. Given the massive vampire suck-fest taking place in the publishing industry (thanks, Stephenie), it was only a matter of time before their smellier, brain-eating cousins crashed the party and made the news, and what a breath of, um, fresh air that is. Pride and Prejudice…and flippin’ zombies! Let that sink in for a second. Jane Austen lovers, it’s okay--just relax and breathe. (And get a sense of humor while you're at it!) Why, if the book’s cover alone doesn’t make you laugh out loud, you might want to check your own pulse because you may be one of the undead already. Oh, but there’s more maggot-oozing goodness inside. In co-author Seth Grahame-Smith’s literary mash-up, Elizabeth Bennet, heroine of the original novel, is remade into the ultimate butt-kicking zombie slayer. When a plague begins reanimating the dead of Meryton, Elizabeth and her sisters use their ferocious ninja-style skills to put the flesh-eating rascals back in the ground where they belong. So for those of you who have ever suffered through a forced reading of Pride and Prejudice, this one’s for you. And if you truly love Austen’s classic, well, I’ll simply leave you with this: "Elizabeth felt herself growing more angry every moment; yet, as Darcy backed her against a wall, she tried to the utmost to speak with composure when she said: 'You are mistaken, Mr. Darcy, if you suppose that the mode of your declaration affected me in any other way, than as it spared the slightest grief which I might have felt in beheading you, had you behaved in a more gentlemanlike manner.' "

Enjoy.

2 comments:

acs said...

I think I can say, sense of humor fully intact, "ewwwwww...."

raa said...

I don't think I can get past the cover!