Friday, July 24, 2009

Books on the Screen

As I sat in the theater waiting for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to begin, I noticed a theme. First came the trailer for Where the Wild Things Are followed by The Time Traveler's Wife. I watched both of these with a mixture of excitement and dread that I feel every time I hear that a book I love is being turned into a movie. I love that wonderful stories are brought to the big screen, but I cringe at how much is necessarily lost and, on occasion, unnecessarily ruined in the process (I might never forgive Jim Carrey and Ron Howard for their interpretation of Dr. Seuss's How the Grinch Stole Christmas).

I've come to a point, though, where I usually have more excitement than dread about most movie adaptations of books. I still like reading (or, occasionally, re-reading) the book first, but it is interesting to compare my vision with someone else's. Aside from the two I saw trailers for, both of which I'd really like to see, other movies this year that have been based on books include My Sister's Keeper, Angels and Demons, Confessions of a Shopaholic, and Coraline. I'm most excited by the upcoming movie versions of Shantaram and On the Road.

...If they turn out to not live up to the books on which they were based, I can always go see the re-make of Fame.

1 comment:

wcpl said...

The Hunt for Red October and Misery were both good books to movies!
KO