Saturday, March 5, 2011

Hallelujah, I hope...

I love to read! There I said it.  So, it has driven me crazy for years that one of my children picks up a book and puts it down having not read it. My child is not malicious nor does she hate books, she just finds them difficult to read.  I spent a lot of time researching and learned that my daughter is not alone.  About 12% of the US Population has some form of dyslexia.  No two people with dyslexia have the same difficulties. Dyslexia is a language processing disorder, which makes it very, did I say very, I meant VERY difficult to read.  If you or someone you know is in a similar  situation, here are some great books and resources that may help.

One of my favorites is  Smart but feeling dumb : the challenging new research on dyslexia-- and how it may help you. It is a twenty year case study of dyslexia. Levinson offers guidance and shows that dyslexia is not the same for everyone.  He goes a step further and offers advice on how best to help the dyslexic, whether the dyslexic is 5 or 85.  A must read if you or someone you love is dyslexic.



The Gift of Dyslexia by Ronald Davis is another excellent resource.  A fantastic medical book that reads like a novel. It helped me understand what reading for a dyslexic is like. It broke my heart and then kicked me into taking action for my child. This is a must read for anyone, any age, who struggles with reading. I encourage you to get help now!

Overcoming dyslexia : a new and complete science-based program for reading problems at any level by Shaywitz, Sally E. This ia an amazing book, which is written by a yale doctor, who has studied dyslexia her entire career.  She gives simplified and complete instructions of how to help your child at any age overcome dyslexia.   She includes accommodations to include in a child's IEP.


If your child is struggling in school, listen to them. Talk to their teacher and have them evaluated. If the problem doesn't go away find the cause.  It is much easier to teach a young child how to cope with Dyslexia than it is for an older child.  Anyone can learn, but... it takes longer the older a person is when they began training.  

The resources are not always easy to locate so here are a few handy websites. 
http://www.cincinnatidyslexia.org/
http://www.dyslexia.com/

No comments: