Tuesday, June 14, 2011

And now, for something completely different...

I'm pretty much a fiction girl.  Oh, sure, there's the occasional non-fiction title that grabs my interest (especially if it's about fiction like the brilliant The Polysyllabic Spree set by Nick Hornby) but I generally like to live in the land of make-believe.  Lately, though, there's been a train of non-fiction going through my trusty library basket at home and I've been hooked on reading about what really was.  It started with Operation Mincemeat: How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory by Ben Macintyre.  Think Weekend at Bernies meets James Bond in an effort to win World War II.  (Especially James Bond, since Ian Fleming was involved with this operation, as were the men who were the inspiration for M and Q.  And especially Weekend at Bernies because it involved...you know, pretending a dead body wasn't really dead.)  This book put me in a bit of spy mode, so I moved on to The Company We Keep: A Husband-And-Wife-True-Life Spy Story.  The stories of life as CIA operatives were really interesting, especially since Robert Baer, the husband in this team, is the inspiration for George Clooney's character in Syriana

 Then came Less Than Human: Why We Demean, Enslave, and Exterminate Others by David Livingstone Smith.  I'll warn you (although you might've guessed from the title), it's a bit heavy, by which I mean reviews use words like "brutal" and "grim."  Still, it offers a really interesting argument about the importance of the way we think of others in how we allow ourselves to treat them.  And, speaking of how we think of things, after these three books, I really needed a mental break. 

With perfect timing, Mary Kay Andrews' new book, Summer Rental, arrived on the hold shelf for me.  And I believe I'll stay squarely in the world of fiction for a while.

No comments: