Saturday, January 7, 2012

Why Crossover?

Someone asked me yesterday, "Why read a crossover novel?" I thought to myself for a minute and said, "Why not?" Of course, this is not much of an answer so I added, "I enjoy them."   I explained these novels are usually character driven, the plot is fast paced and tells a compelling story. I enjoy stories where there is fast paced actions, strong character development and a great storyline.  Most of the crossover titles I have read have these fantastic characteristics, which makes them an exciting read.

If you are one of the many adults who heads for the Young Adult section of our library, know that you are not alone. Many people choose to read Young Adult titles. I think the best part of reading a crossover title is that you can discuss it with just about anyone from teen to an elderly adult.  The language used in it is not usually offensive.

One of my favorite crossover authors has written an exciting conclusion to his series.  If you read Eragon, Eldest and  Brisingr you will be happy to learn that  Inheritance by Christopher Paolini has finally arrived!  I have waited so long for the conclusion to this series that I, like many others, thought it would never get here. It was well worth the wait. This is a lengthy novel, but it is told so well that you won't feel like it takes forever.  Christopher provides an introduction that is a bit of a refresher so you don't need to reread the other volumes to make sense of this one. The plot is fast paced and the varden finally battles Galbatorix. 

Although now I question if this is the end of the series. The series is concluded, but...I see potential for another series to follow these characters as they move on to new adventures.  Guess I'll have to wait and see. The last book was a long time coming so if the author does create another series I may have a couple years to wait (sigh).

No comments: