Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The value of a short story

I recently told a friend, “I don’t really like short stories." I've always thought of them as not satisfying simply because they're over so quickly. It seemed like there wasn't enough there to get much from them. Of course, as we talked about how I don't like short stories, I proceeded to suggest (okay, it might have been more of a demand) that she read two short stories because they were incredibly powerful and moving. I then wouldn't let her leave until I had pulled the books off shelves and gently placed (or forcibly shoved...whatever) them into her hands. Even I could see this wasn't really the behavior of someone who hates short stories. The more I thought about it, the more short stories came to mind that have stayed with me and had a big impact. Perhaps, yet again, I was wrong about what I don't read.

While some try to define a short story by the number of words, a classic definition is a story that can be read in one sitting. Short stories are usually less complex in structure than a full novel, but have no less emotional punch. While there isn’t as much there to get completely wrapped up in a character’s life, well-written short stories can still draw me into the characters’ situations. I recently saw an article that talked about the “emotional value” of a short story – you get more emotional bang for your reading buck.

So, if you're looking for a good value in your reading, if you don't have a lot of free time, or if you're just interested in some really good stories, check out a few of these collections for great stories that you can read in one sitting (and, if you’re curious, I’ve pointed out the two I suggested to my friend):

Jhumpa Lahiri – Interpreter of Maladies (especially “A Temporary Matter”)
Kate Chopin – A Vocation and a Voice (especially “The Story of an Hour”)
Steven King – Skeleton Crew
Dan Chaon – Among the Missing
Jennifer Weiner – The Guy Not Taken

No comments: