In the past few weeks, I've seen several lists of the "best" books of 2009. It would've never occurred to me to do so, but I was intrigued. So, I'm a few weeks behind, but usually it's months or years, so I'm going to be proud of looking back at my reads of 2009 before, say, July. I'm not bold enough to say that my selections are the "best" books of the year (nor will I even promise that these books were written in 2009, only that that's when I read them). Yes, I've written about a couple of them before, and if you've already read them, you can skip over this. But, if you've not read these books, maybe the second blog is be the charm.
The Gargoyle, by Andrew Davidson. Okay, technically it came out in 2008, but it was late 2008. Every time I've described this book to someone, I've felt compelled to say, "I know...it sounds weird, but give it a shot." It's the story of a former porn star who loses everything after being severely burned in a drug and alcohol-fueld car crash. In the burn unit, he meets a woman (who happens to be in the psych ward) who sculpts gargoyles and insists that they have known each other since medieval times. I know...it sounds weird, but give it a shot. (As an added bonus, it's one of the titles on Strong Starts, one of the featured lists for the Great Books Reading Challenge and can count as one of your 12 titles to win a prize!)
Home Safe, by Elizabeth Berg. If I can't talk you into the slightly crazy vibe of The Gargoyle, try this cozier book. It's about a recently widowed author who has a bad case of writer's block and becomes overly dependent on her daughter. She also discovers $850,000 missing from her savings and has to figure out whether her husband was leading a double life. It's sweet and, like the title, safe, but a tender, cozy read
.Shantaram, by Gregory David Roberts. Again, not a 2009 publication, but I only learned about it in 2009, so bear with me. If you've not read this, gear up. It's hefty at 936 pages, but the beautiful, elegant, and often thought-provoking prose is wrapped around a fascinating story about humanity amidst violence, poverty, and despair. Definitely worth a read.
The Fixer-Upper, by Mary Kay Andrews. It's the anti-Shantaram. You know those days when you just need some comic misadventures to make you laugh? Mary Kay Andrews is in my emergency kit on those days, and she didn't disappoint this year with this one. It's a fun, light read that made it enjoyable to be amongst a grumpy old lady squatting in a moldy pink house, corrupt lobbyists, and FBI agents on the trail. The Help, by Kathryn Stockett. There is quite possibly nothing I can say about this book that hasn't already been said. It is as good as you've heard. It is that interesting. You will never want to eat chocolate pie again. Just a head's up: follow my friend Martha's advice, and listen to this one, even if you don't normally do audio books. The readers are outstanding and bring a whole new life to the story.
Going Bovine, by Libba Bray. Mad Cow disease has never been so much fun. A teenaged loner goes on a quest to save the world and, perhaps, himself after being hospitalized with the disease. His companions are a death-obsessed dwarf, a punk elf only he can see, and a Norse god trapped to immortality in the body of a garden gnome. Really, how could you not want to read that?


14 comments:
You have peaked my interest with this nice little review about Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg. It makes me want to check it out and I think I will.
Elizabeth Berg never fails to speak to women in her books and she did so again in the wonderful Home Safe. LSS
I so enjoyed The Help and truly didn't want it to end. Your comment re: listening to this title has prompted me to perhaps revisit the book so I can listen to the wonderful flavor of the language.
The review of The Fixer Upper has piqued my interest. I'll add it to my list. Thanks for the review.
There's just one more thing that I can say about The Help and that is that I didn't want the book to end. I found myself wondering if Kathryn Stockett might possibly be planning a sequel. I want so much to know what happens next in the lives of all of her wonderful characters.
I loved reading The Help. The book offered interesting perspectives on the thoughts and feelings of all the women involved in the story.
A friend worked in Medgar Evers NAACP office just after his death in 1963. Events in my history, and the lives depicted in this book, made The Help a very personal experience.
This is a great story, made even better in the audio version. The reader captures the personalities of the characters, and their struggles & pain become deeply personal.
When I first started reading Going Bovine, I did not like it. The main character is rather abrasive, but I hung in there and the book got much better. It's the craziest, strangest book I've ever read! It's one of those books where, after you finish it you say, "Now I get it."
I really like Elizabeth Berg's works-especially "Talk Before Sleep" and "What We Keep" so after reading the review about "Home Safe" it's definitely going on my hold list. Good to know she has a new title out.
I'm usually a paranormal mystery sort of girl, but I have read a few titles by Mary Kay Andrews (originally recommended to me by the late, great Katie Brown!)
Ms. Andrews is light and fun and has a certain southern charm! My favorite was "Little Bitty Lies" - comically smart.
I couldn't put down "The Help". I thought it was an interesting portrayal of that time period in the south. Because my aunt and uncle were very involved with the civil rights movement in Cincinnati, one girlfriend's mom wasn't sure she should still associate with me.
Glad to see a teen book, Going Bovine, was among your favorites!
I was thrilled to see Shantaram on the Vick's Picks list! If you want to really see India through an outsider's eyes this book will enchant you, romance you and break your heart. It is a big read - good summer reading book - but worth every page!
Post a Comment