Saturday, December 24, 2011

Twas the Night Before....




Twas’ the night before Christmas and all through the house,  the only creature stirring was me, not my spouse.
The family and guests were all snug in their beds,
while I sat reading a tale full of dread.
The horror of family and Christmas dinner not cooked right,
had led me to find a book full of fright.
It was scary. It was awesome as I turned each new page,
never thinking that this might not be the right day. 
I was thinking of cleaning and cooking my plight
with a houseful of guests it’d take all my might. 
But the book it called out to me, “Read me instead!
Sit down and read.  Don’t rest your head.
In a flash I knew, just what to do.
I took a minute for me, take a minute for you.

Enjoy your holiday even with a big crew and when the company begins to drive you insane,
just yawn and say,"Sorry I didn’t sleep on the plane."
Then go grab your book or even your nook and hide in your room.
This’ll help you survive any pending doom.
As you read you’ll adventure far from this land
and not make it back until it is time for the ham.
So forget the fighting, the chaos, the kid with the sneer.
Just read a good book and have a Happy New Year!

Here are a few titles to keep you aware that the holidays are not nearly as horrifying as these books.
I'll begin with Stephen King's Full Dark, No stars.  His collection of 4 longish horror stories will keep you up as you wait for ole' St. Nick to bring you presents.  This is an excellent collection of grisly tales you'll want to read when you need a good fright.

Slay Ride by Chris Grabenstein is a holiday horror novel.  It begins when Scott Wilkinson calls for a car service to take him to the airport. How was he to know the maniac behind the wheel is out to get revenge on the man (Wilkinson) who ruined his life.

The Bad Place by Dean Koontz a spine tingling thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat as you hope protaganist, Frank Pollard,  can resolve the mystery of his blood covered hands when he wakes. 

I'd Know you Anywhere by Laura Lippman is a thriller. A murderer on death row contacts his only victim who survived and lets her know, "I'd know you anywhere." Can she protect her family and herself from the madman?

I have to confess, The Silence of the Lambs is one of the all time scariest horror novels written. Many have seen the movie, but the novel is even better.  Thomas Harris creates characters that are  believable, intense and frightening. When Clarice Starling an FBI trainee is placed on the case of a serial killer not only is she trying to get into the killers mind, but she must use the help of Hannibal, the Cannibal to give her clues to stop the grisly murders. This book will keep you awake and turning pages.

If you are looking for a lighter horror story try Christine Feehan's, The Twilight Before Christmas. It is a suspenseful holiday tale. A dark shadow is accidentally released and must be contained or destroyed by the Drake sisters. This is a suspenseful, passionate story with just enough horror to make you smile.

No comments: