Saturday, April 27, 2013

Who's Afraid of a Little Pink Cover?

I may be like many of you, a skeptic.  Our library is currently hosting a Blind Date with a book. The Blind Date books are completely covered and has three descriptive words written on the cover. Based on the three written words you select a book that you will read.  As I said I am a skeptic, there are some authors I know if they write a book, I want that book in my hot grubby little paws, NOW!  However there are other titles I am confident I would not enjoy. Consequently I judge the book by its cover and I do not pick it up.  It's true--I am prejudiced against pink covers. There I said it... I am biased who wants to read a book of fluff?  Give me a suspensful thriller, murder mystery or adventure.  There can be romance, but there's got to be some kind of thrill involved.  A pink fluffy book, that is just not for me...or so I thought.

I picked up a Blind Date Book the words on the cover were flirty, irreverant and romance.  When I got it home I opened it.  It was pink. Not just any pink, hot pink and I thought really? I saw the author's name was Sophie Kinsella and again I thought, really. I have never read any of her books (that's right never). I watched Confessions of a Shopaholic, but never read the book.  I told myself that this is just one book I'll read it and get it over with.  The title was Can You Keep a Secret?

I can honestly tell you Ms. Kinsella had me from the first page.  I loved it!  It was funny, light hearted, a bit of a mystery. I enjoyed the quirkiness between the main characters and was deeply unhappy when Emilie, the main character was betrayed. It was a terrific  story.  I read a few other Blind Date with a Books, not all were loved by me, but they were good. Here are a few of their names in case you were uneasy about reading a book when you cannot see the cover.

Last Dog on the Hill by Steve Duno---This is the story of Lou a feral puppy who grows up to be an amazing dog. A wonderfully, funny and perhaps sad true story. If you like dogs you'll love this book!

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan-- this is a young adult fiction title filled with adventure, love and peril. This had adventure and peril, but...I did not like the ending. There was plenty of foreshadowing yet the evil in the story will grow again and the downfall will be wrought by the heroine in the story. Hmm I guess I am intrigued enough to check out the next book in the series, Spark. I really do not want Seth, the antagonist to win.


No comments: