Saturday, May 9, 2015

Audie Award Finalists Announced!

Since I began listening to audio books I have always looked forward to the announcing of the Audio Publishers Association (APA)  finalists for the 2015 Audie Awards®. These awards are the only awards program in the United States devoted entirely to honoring spoken word entertainment. The Audie Award winners will be announced at the Audies Gala on May 28, 2015. 

The best thing about the finalists is every book has an excellent narrator which makes for great listening! Once the list arrives I select a few books and begin listening. Sometimes I don't even know what the story is about...I simply have chosen a book that has a great narrator and I let the story unfold as I listen.  I have (in all honesty) never been disappointed by this selection method. This goes against everything I ever learned, however I have not failed to find a beautiful story to listen too by selecting a great narrator.

I have, on the other hand listened, or rather begun to listen to a great novel and then turned it off because the reader read abysmally. These Audie Award Finalists have two things going for them.  They have a great author and an excellent narrator which makes any of these books a pure pleasure to hear.

The following are a few of my favorite finalists for the Audie Awards. If you'd like a complete listing you can find it here. You may ask yourself if they are all good, why I have a few favorites.  The truth is...I just do.

Enjoy and happy listening.

Nominees for Audiobook of the Year

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, Full cast production

Mandela: An Audio History by Nelson Mandela; Narrated by Nelson Mandela

What I Know For Sure by Oprah Winfrey: Narrated by Oprah Winfrey

Yes, Please by Amy Poehler; Narrated by Amy Poehler, Carol Burnett, Seth Myers, Mike Schur, Eileen and William Poehler, Patrick Stewart and Kathleen Turner. 

Below are a few of my favorite authors who have been nominated for an Audie Award. There are many other nominees...for more finalists go here.

The First Phone Call From Heaven by Mitch Albom; Narrated by Mitch Albom
You Can Date Boys When You're Forty by Dave Barry; Narrated by Dave Barry
Missing You by Harlan Coben; Narrated by January La Voy  
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr narrated by Zach Appelman
The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw by Christopher Healy; Narrated by Bronson Pinchot
Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen; Narrated by Katherine Kellgren
Flash Boys by Michael Lewis; Narrated by Dylan Baker
In The Morning I'll Be Gone by Adrian McKinty; Narrated by Gerard Doyle
The Auschwitz Escape by Joel C. Rosenberg; Narrated by Christopher Lane
Hounded by David Rosenfelt; Narrated by Grover Gardner
Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson Narrated by Kate Reading and Michael Kramer

No comments: