Monday, July 18, 2016

The Best Audiobooks!


I have been converted. I admit I am now an audiobook lover. It was not always like that and usually, I still prefer a 'good old fashioned book' in my hands to an e-book or an audiobook, but lately I have found fantastic narrators who make listening an auditory pleasure. I especially enjoy listening to multi-voiced audiobooks.  

So if you love listening to a great narrator...you are sure to enjoy these books. If you have never listened to an audiobook give it a try.   For added incentive here are a few activities you can do while listening to a book: exercise, cook, bake, garden, write thank-you cards or even housework. Just think you can get work done while hearing a fantastic book! Life doesn't get much better than that, well if you were listening to a book, while sitting on the beach...that would be heaven. I can see it now.  The sun, the waves and a beautiful story.. pure unadulterated bliss.



Audie Award Winners That I LOVE! 

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (multi-voiced edition) 
2015 Audie Award Winner: Multi-Voiced Performance and 
2015 Winner Distinguished Achievement in Production

I've listened to both the multi-voiced edition and the one read by Neil Gaiman himself. I enjoyed them both, but the multi-voiced version is fantastic! 
Nobody "Bod" Owens is an orphan and is adopted and raised by ghosts in the graveyard where he crawled to safety after his parents were murdered. This is an enchanting tale that you won't want to stop listening too. 

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
2016 Audie Award Winner: Multi-Voiced Performance

Told through a fascinating dossier of hacked documents, including emails, maps, files, IMs, medical reports, interviews and more...Illuminae is the first book in a heart stopping trilogy about lives interrupted, the price of truth and the courage of everyday heroes. Beautifully voiced.

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle Read by Simon Vance
2014 Audie Award Winner: Classics

Classic Sherlock Holmes made exceptional by an amazing narrator.

Mandela: An Audio History available on Hoopla (translation this book is always available, there's no waiting to listen)
2015 Audie Award Winner: Audiobook of the Year 

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr  
2015 Audie Award Winner: Fiction

Nonfiction
The Boys In the Boat by Daniel James Brown
I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai

Fiction
Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler
The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
The Postmistress by Sara Blake
The Roundhouse by Louise Erdich

If you have an audiobook that you love.....PLEASE do not keep us in suspense. Please tell us (or at least me) what it is... I promise I'll give it a try.

No comments: