Several years ago, when I worked at Ohio State, I discovered an author whose name I'd never heard before. Maybe it was because I'd not grown up in Ohio, or maybe it was because I'm humor-challenged, or maybe it's just because I'm not the right age, but whatever the reason, I'd never heard of James Thurber. He's considered one of the best humorists of the 20th century, and I'd completely missed the boat on him until I found out that he was a Buckeye, there's a Thurber House museum in Columbus, and OSU has a special collection of rare Thurber materials What, you're probably asking yourself right about now, is she getting at? I'm glad you asked: Not only is Thurber's work pretty funny, but each year, the Thurber House in Columbus awards the Thurber Prize for American Humor. Past recipients have included the editorial staff of The Onion for Our Dumb Century, David Sedaris for Me Talk Pretty One Day, and Jon Stewart, Ben Karlin, and David Javerbaum for America: The Book (A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction). If you've not read any of these and need a good laugh, I highly recommend all three...although there are some pictures in America that have left a permanent image in my brain I'd like to erase. (I'm just giving you fair warning...if the idea of naked Supreme Court justices is a little off-putting, be careful where you look in that book... )
I just finished reading this year's nominees for the awards and am eagerly awaiting the announcement of the winner on October 5. And the nominees are (drumroll, please...)
Sloane Crosley's I Was Told There'd Be Cake
Ian Frazier's Lamentations of the Father (the title essay is particularly funny)
Don Lee's Wrack and Ruin and
Laurie Notaro's The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death: Reflections on Revenge, Germophobia, and Laser Hair Removal
My vote goes to Notaro's book (the title alone makes me giggle a little every time). If you're looking for a good laugh, check it out.
1 comment:
In case you're curious: the award went to Ian Frazier's Lamentations of the Father. Incidentally, this is the first time an author has won the award twice.
Post a Comment