Thursday, August 19, 2010

Guilty pleasures to end the summer

"Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it" -- P.J. O'Rourke 

As someone whose car radio rarely veers off the same station, I'm not quite sure how I missed this until now: NPR has been doing a special series on authors' guilty pleasure books and authors.  From Joshua Braff's recent  admission that he loves John Irving to Laura Daves's penchant for Peyton Place, it's fun to peek into the virtual bookshelves and see what they're not embarrassed to admit they're reading, even if they're not always necessarily boastful of their choices.  It's the virtual equivalent of peeking on someone's bookshelves the first time you're invited to their home...not that I would ever do that (compulsively). 

Photo credit
Recently, when talking with my mom, I asked her what she'd been reading, since we often swap titles.  She was rather embarrassed when she told me that she's been reading a lot of Johanna Lindsey.  She tried to go on and explain that she just wasn't in the mood for anything heavy and it was a good escape.  I told her to relax, I wasn't judging.  Reading should be something you enjoy, so take it where you are.  If you need some Johanna Lindsay, by all means, read her books.  Since I just outed my mom on what she felt was her guilty pleasure, I feel obliged to report that I'm thinking about checking out Nora Roberts Bride Quartet.  That's right -- I typed that out loud (okay, I actually looked furtively around the room to make sure nobody saw me type it, but c'mon...it's a guilty pleasure, not a "proud pleasure").  I am in the mood for some stupid escapism, and it just sounds fun.  Sometimes, you just can't listen to P.J. O'Rourke.

So, I just outed my mom's guilty pleasure, my possible guilty pleasure (I'll let you know if I do check it out), and a few famous authors' to boot, why don't you join the sharing circle and let the rest of us in on your dirty little secret: what book or author do you secretly like?  After all, if Brad Meltzer can admit that he loves (yes, loves) the Twilight books, can't you share your guilty pleasure?

No comments: