Thursday, March 31, 2011

April Fool's Day a look back...

I know that most people look forward to April Fool's Day with anticipation. I am not one of those people. My husband is particularly good at practical jokes. So while most people cannot wait for the fun to begin, I wonder, 'What's going to happen next?’  This year is going to be different. I am going to take the bull by the horns (figuratively speaking of course) and plan some good pranks of my own. I am investigating pranks a plenty and I will finally have my day! To insure my success I have studied the world wide web and found some helpful books.

While I was trying to discern how to prank someone successfully, I wondered how April Fool's Day began. It isn't a legal holiday, yet most countries celebrate it in some form. Some historians believe the celebration began back in 1582 when the Gregorian calendar changed the start of the new year from the week of April 1 to January 1. Word spread slowly and some foolish people were reluctant to accept the change. They continued celebrating the New Year on April 1st. These individuals thereby earned the title of ’Fool’. People in their wonderful prankful way decided to send these 'fools' on errands. Thus began the April Fool's Day Frivolity.

During my quest for pranks I learned that even big business enjoys jokes.  Starbucks created a Plenta size (128 fl. oz.) and Micra size (2 fl. oz.) coffees to appear on April 1st of last year.  One website even went so far as to remove all the vowels in their transmission on April 1st. I laughed myself silly over that one.  I think I recall thinking there might have been a computer glitch last year. Of course, my savvy husband was aware that this was an April Fool's Day Joke (Sigh).

Sorry I digress, You, lucky readers, (whether you are cowering in dread of the April Fool's Day antics or gleefully rubbing your hands together waiting to catch some innocents by surprise) shall benefit from my investigation. I hope these books and websites help you get the most of your holiday frolic! I am sure I will finally succeed in tricking someone this year. I know I can do it. Wishing you success and lighthearted fun this April Fool's Day!

 



 The Practical Jokers Handbook collected by Tim Nyberg

51 High Tech Practical Jokes for the Evil Genius by Brad Graham




Sir John Hargrave's Mischief Maker's Manual by Sir John Hargrave



No comments: