Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Can you convince me to join the 21st century?

For years, I've seen articles and heard commentary bemoaning the death of reading.  A study done in 2007 reported that one in four adults had not read a single book in the past year.  The New York Times has written several articles on the decline of reading, including a piece in 2007 on Twilight of the Books (no, it has nothing to do with the Stephenie Meyer series that has flown off the shelf for the past five years -- presumably, I think I can reasonably infer, to be read). 

The reality is that you can find statistics on just about any aspect of reading that you like (including, I just found out, the impact on toilet reading (AKA "TR") on...well, other things).  It seems that there's always going to be some debate about whether people are reading enough.  However, what there is no question about is that the way people are reading is changing.  In July of this year, Amazon reported that e-books outsold hardcover titles almost 2 to 1.  Dorchester Publishing, which is the self-described, "oldest independent mass market publisher in American" made the business decision to end its mass printing in favor of printing on demand and e-publishing in response to the surge in e-book sales and decline in regular book sales.  Clearly, e-books are gaining popularity.  (Incidentally, I've talked to many people lately who want to know if the library's digital collection can be read on Amazon's Kindle.  As Amazon's propriety reader, only Amazon titles can be read on the Kindle.  However, titles for e-book readers such as the Sony Reader, Barnes and Noble's Nook, Borders' Kobo, or the iPad can all be used with the library's e-book titles.)  

I will be the first to admit that I'm a bit old-fashioned.  I still like the texture and smell of holding the book in my hand.  So, here's what I'm asking of all you who not only still read, but also read e-books: What are the advantages of e-books?  I'm not asking this facetiously; I truly want to know.  Perhaps my love of the smell of the books is a bit old-fashioned, but it's still part of the reading experience to me.  So, bring me into the 21st century -- what cool features of the e-books can replace the smell of books?

1 comment:

acs said...

Interestingly, the Wall Street Journal printed an article on Aug. 25th on ("The ABC's of E-reading") on the reading habits of e-readers. A study found that people with e-readers read more than they read before they owned the e-readers. E-readers also seem to be narrowing the gender gap that has traditionally seen more women reading than men. acs